Bianca Andreescu withdraws from Tokyo Olympics due to pandemic-related challenges

Bianca Andreescu says she has withdrawn from Canada’s Olympic tennis team.

The 21-year-old from Mississauga, Ont., posted on her Instagram account Monday that she is pulling out of the 2020 Tokyo Games due to pandemic-related challenges.

A state of emergency took effect in Tokyo on Monday as the number of new COVID-19 cases is climbing fast and hospital beds are starting to fill just 11 days ahead of the Olympics.

The state of emergency will cover the entire duration of the July 23-Aug. 8 Games, and means fans will be banned from attending events.

Andreescu, ranked No. 5 on the WTA Tour, says it was a “difficult decision” and that she has dreamt of representing Canada at the Olympics since she was a little girl.

She is the third high-profile Canadian tennis player to opt out of the Summer Games, following top-ranked Canadian men’s player Denis Shapovalov and world No. 22 Milos Raonic, who made the same decision last month.

Find live streams, must-watch video highlights, breaking news and more in one perfect Olympic Games package. Following Team Canada has never been easier or more exciting.

More from Tokyo 2020

Andreescu returned to action this year after suffering an injury at the end of her breakout 2019 season that saw her win the U.S. Open.

Montreal’s Felix Auger-Aliassime, Vancouver’s Vasek Pospisil, Leylah Annie Fernandez of Laval, Que., Ottawa’s Gabriela Dabrowski and Toronto’s Sharon Fichman are the other members of Canada’s Olympic team.

WATCH | Bianca Andreescu falls in Wimbledon 1st round:

For the second time in two weeks, France’s Alize Cornet upset Bianca Andreescu, this time 6-2, 6-1 in the first round of Wimbledon. 6:32



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

− 5 = 3