White House warns ISIS-K ‘continue to be active’ threat in Afghanistan – ‘Concern’ | World | News

The Islamic militants were behind the deadly attack on Kabul airport that killed over 100 civilians and 13 US Marines. In a briefing for reporters on Thursday, press secretary Jen Psaki said the number of US citizens still in Afghanistan was “closer to 100”. She insisted the Biden administration was doing all it could to help those left behind leave the country.

Responding to suggestions that planes might be chartered to bring the stranded back to the US, Ms Psaki suggested ISIS could pose serious dangers to such a venture.

“There are active, continue to be active, ISIS-K threats,” she said.

The press secretary added that there is “concern” about these potential charter flights and “where these flights go,” as ISIS has a “keen interest” in aviation targets.

The US completed its withdrawal from Afghanistan on Monday night, bringing to an end almost 20 years of military engagement in the country.

More than 123,000 people were evacuated from Kabul aboard the US-led airlift operation, which began just after the Taliban swept into the capital on August 14.

Joe Biden, however, has faced fierce criticism from some politicians for failing to ensure all Americans were able to leave before the deadline.

Republican representative Mike Gallagher told Politico: “Hundreds of Americans and thousands of our Afghan allies have been left behind enemy lines.

READ MORE: Afghan refugees will be given £39.63 per week to live in UK

He told reporters earlier this week: “Most of those who remain are dual citizens, long-time residents, but earlier decided to stay because of their family roots in Afghanistan.

“The bottom line, 90% of Americans in Afghanistan who wanted to leave were able to leave, and for those remaining Americans, there is no deadline.

“We remain committed to get them out if they want to come out.”





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

− 8 = 1